Summer Apprentice Program
2015 Summer Apprentice Program
The Summer Apprentice Program 2015 APPRENTICE Applications are now available! SAP-Application-2015]
APPLICATIONS DUE by 5pm Monday June 1, 2015!
It’s that time again! Time for our Urban Agriculture Summer Apprentice program. The Summer Apprentice Program is a rare opportunity for West County youth to join a dynamic and positive group of their peers for a life changing summer of intensive urban agriculture training, community engagement, mind-opening field trips and paid summer employment.
During the course of this intensive 6-week program youth are placed on small crews at 4 of our community and school gardens where they learn to work together to grow fresh, healthy organic food for our community while developing meaningful skills.
By the end of the program youth Apprentices are able to:
- Identify invasive, native and edible plants species
- Weed effectively using new knowledge of plant life cycles
- Sheet mulch using new knowledge of photosynthesis
- Understand the water cycles and how watersheds affect urban communities
- Use math and geometry to plan and build small scale carpentry projects
- Transplant seedlings, sow seeds in beds, rows and trays
- Create to scale site maps for garden projects
- Install and plan simple drip irrigation systems
- Use protocol to properly take soil samples
- Collect seed for seed saving projects
- Properly prune bushes, shrubs and trees
- Use hand and some power tools safely
- Learn to cook at least 3 basic garden fresh meals
- Run a farmer’s market stand and learn about small business management
- Lead door to door outreach campaigns
- Coordinate volunteers to accomplish larger goals
Apprentices also gain knowledge!
Through awesome field trips, trainings and hands on learning activities apprentices learn key concepts in Ecology, Botany, Agriculture, Nutrition, Holistic Health, Social Justice and Community Development. By the end of the summer, after using or encountering these basic concepts in real situations they will be able to share their knowledge with their communities.
The Summer Apprentice Program is a PAID Apprenticeship. For 100 hours of hands on learning and service apprentices earn a $1000 stipend. PLEASE NOTE: Apprentice stipends are based on the completion of 100% of program projects, tasks and hours completed. If the program is only partially completed, the amount of stipend will be reduced based on the number of hours completed.
The program serves youth 15-24 years old. We focus on giving priority to Richmond and San Pablo youth but have hosted youth from elsewhere in Contra Costa County and Alameda County in the past on a case by case basis. All participants must be able to participate in the FULL program, including the camping trip, field trips, and mandatory orientation and full day conflict resolution training.
Apprentices must also be able to provide their own transportation, public transit or rides, to their project sites which are all in Richmond. *They also must be safe to work at the project sites in Central Richmond, East Richmond Heights, South Richmond and North Richmond.
This summer we will change the lives of over 40 Richmond teens…
APPLICATIONS DUE by 5pm Monday, June 1st!
For more information contact: email@example.com
In gratitude. the whole Urban Tilth team!